Acupuncture is an holistic system of health care continually practised and developed throughout Asia for many thousands of years.
The Chinese Medicine Practitioner will look for any imbalances in the body by taking the pulse and looking at the tongue and listening to the patients history, signs and symptoms. Acupuncture points are then needled to clear away blockages in the meridians and rebalance the system. By inserting very fine needles at specific points along the meridians, an acupuncturist can stimulate the body’s own healing response and help restore and maintain its natural balance.
All needles used are pre-sterilised, single-use disposable type, and all equipment and procedures conform to the highest health and safety standards.
Once balance and good health have been restored to the system, acupuncture plays a major role in a preventative health regimen, helping maintain the smooth flow of Qi (energy) through the body and allowing the system to function optimally, leading to continued levels of health and wellness.
OTHER METHODS OF STIMULATION MAY INVOLVE
- Moxibustion: the gentle warming of acupoints with a smouldering herb.
- Cupping: the application of suction cups to areas of tightness in the muscles or fascia.
- Gua Sha: rubbing and stimulating the meridians with a smooth Jade implement or spoon.
- Electro-Acupuncture: the stimulation of acupuncture needles with a very mild electrical current.
- Massage & Acupressure: massaging the body and focusing on particular Acupuncture points with pressure.
To look at an overview of evidence for Acupuncture, please click on this link – https://www.evidencebasedacupuncture.org/acupuncture-scientific-evidence/
We often will offer and prescribe herbal medicines in conjunction with our Acupuncture appointments (prices are extra) or you can book a Herbal Medicine consult without Acupuncture.
Herbs can help enhance your treatment outcomes quicker and they have the ability to manage a range of symptoms and patterns in the body including:
- Stress support
- Skin conditions including Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis
- Digestive problems including bloating
- Sleep support
- Women’s Health conditions including irregular periods (including coming off the pill), amenorrhea, painful periods, endometriosis, fibroids, heavy periods, PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), menopause
- Preconception care – recommended at least 3 months prior to conception
- Fertility support – recommended at least 3 months prior
- Pre and post IVF support
- Postpartum support
Fertility, IVF and preconception care
Chinese Medicine has many ways to support fertility, preconception care and IVF including:
- healthy single women or couples (including same sex couples!) who want to give their baby the best possible start to life
- women and couples who have been diagnosed with either primary or secondary infertility including issues with sperm quality, anovulation, amenorrhoea etc.
- women and couples who have suffered one or more miscarriage
- women and couples already undertaking IVF or ART treatment who are looking for a healthy complement to improve their chances.
- In a heterosexual couple, we recommend that the partner attends a fertility consultation leading up to the IVF cycle if possible to discuss lifestyle advice, sperm analysis and possible supplementation and if appropriate, Chinese Herbal Medicine.
We recommend at least 3 months of preconception care
Pregnancy and Postnatal support
Each pregnancy is unique, and we structure a treatment regime to suit each individual.
Acupuncture can help manage symptoms that may arise during pregnancy:
- threatened miscarriage
- neck or back pain, and other body aches
- sciatic pain
- pelvic pain or instability
- thyroid issues
- fluid retention
- varicose veins
- high blood pressure
And later in pregnancy, we may be able to help with breech presentation, and preparing you for labour. Treatment is most effective if started at the 34-36 week mark. Acupuncture may be very beneficial in the weeks leading up to birth, to help soften the tendons and ligaments, promote blood flow to the uterus, and soften the cervix by increasing the flow of oxytocin. Regular treatments leading up to birth may reduce the need for medical induction and reduce the length of the birth.
Traditional Chinese Medicine encourages the ancient practice of “sitting the month”, in which new mothers are looked after completely by family members. Whilst we can’t come to live in your house and look after you completely, we can offer some support in those first few months postpartum to make the transition easier, smoother and overall more sustainable. One of these support treatments include the ancient treatment of “Mother Warming”, designed to help a new mum build up her blood supply and reserves after birth, help with mood and nervousness, increase energy and encourage milk supply.
We encourage postpartum mothers to “sit the month” and not leave the house. Therefore we offer home visits (extra charge) or we encourage mothers to come into the clinic or request a home-visit for treatment within the first 7 – 10 days postpartum and your birth partner and baby are welcome. We recommend mothers to come to the series of Labour Preparation appointments beginning at 36 weeks where we provide education about how to prepare for the fourth trimester.
Children’s Acupuncture and Sho Ni Shin
Yes, we do treat children!
We use Acupuncture, massage, moxibustion and Herbal Medicine to treat children of all ages.
Babies and young children (generally up to around 10 years) usually prefer a Sho Ni Shin treatment. This involves asking questions, observation of the child, pulse/finger/stomach diagnosis and the treatment. Home treatments are often taught to the parents so that the therapy can continue between sessions. This encourages a beautiful bond between the parent and their child. Parents can use a spoon or a toothbrush for treatment.
Sho Ni Shin tools are often blunt and used for techniques that stroke, tap and press the various meridians to promote health and balance. The techniques are gentle and the procedure is often completed fairly quickly without any discomfort or distress to the child. A treatment can be only 5-20 minutes long and the child can sit on your lap.
Our practitioners use a combination of relaxation, deep tissue, remedial and Tui Na (Chinese Remedial Massage) techniques that focus on balancing a person’s energy, relieving tension and pain.
Other bodywork such as cupping, moxa and gua sha may be used as necessary with organic cold-pressed coconut oil combined with some Chinese liniment to the skin.
We offer massage only or a combination of Acupuncture with massage
Cosmetic Acupuncture is a gentle, non-invasive facial treatment. Specific cosmetic acupuncture points are needled into the face and body to improve skin tone, support ageing gracefully, enhance overall complexion and improve overall well being. We also address your whole body health.
Cosmetic Acupuncture treatment stimulates the production of Collagen and Elastin by creating micro – traumas in the skin to encourage the cascade effect that helps to produce these building blocks. This results in a more toned, firm and bright skin complexion.
What can Facial Acupuncture help with?
With over 5000 years of documentation, Cosmetic Acupuncture is a natural alternative to Cosmetic Injectables such as Botox and Fillers. Treatments are aimed to soften lines and wrinkles, lift sagging, increase firmness and tone the face whilst also taking into consideration the patient’s overall general wellbeing to encourage the body into harmonious balance from a Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective.
Benefits of Cosmetic Acupuncture
- Stimulates Collagen production for increased facial tone, even complexion and firmness
- Increases moisture in the skin through the result of penetration of Acupuncture needles encouraging circulation of blood & lymph to the face.
- Improvement in muscle tone, firmness and elasticity of the skin
- Assists sagging and drooping of the skin to lift including drooping eyelids
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles and soften deeper wrinkles
- Softens scarring including facial and acne scarring
Qi beauty™ Facials
Instant visible results can be seen with our Qi Beauty Magnetic Facial such as:
- Reduction of fine line & deeper wrinkles
- Rehydration & firming /lifting sagging areas
- Soothe inflamed skin & reduce blemishes
- For a fresh glowing smooth complexion
Combining the latest technology in skin care with ancient healing methods you will look and feel your best, naturally.
Designed for health, aesthetic and inflammatory skin needs, Qi beauty™ treatments action energetic processes above and below the surface without injury to healthy tissues. Skin appears vibrant, clear and youthful, as fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation are noticeably reduced to make a lasting impression.
During a Qi beauty treatment skin is stimulated using a controlled Static Magnetic Field to activate energetic processes that support healthy skin function. Every treatment is customised to target your specific concerns and underlying Qi deficiencies as diagnosed by your Qi beauty Certified Practitioner.
Qi beauty™ treatments are deeply relaxing, working with innate repair responses without injury, trauma or pain. Qi beauty™ Treatments are ideal for brides, special occasions and events as there is no bruising, redness, or down time.